Friday, September 15, 2006

Cultural Jetlag

I can't belive it's been so long since I've posted here. There's been many times, many days, that I've thought about writing up an insight, a memory, a revelation... but I haven't because I don't have time.

I know it's not 'realistic', the way I was living while traveling. While I don't consider it a vacation, it was a 'vacation' from life. Meaning: no work, no to-dos, no schedules, etc... There was time to do whatever I wished. Sometimes there was too much time – I'm speaking of nights when I was bored but didn't feel like doing anything; an uncomfortable state of mind. But I'm not complaining –

Lately, I've been thinking about the slow pace I got used to in Asia: it's physical, mental, spiritual. And I miss it. I feel rushed to do things, to think of things. I feel like I'm running through the weeks instead of strolling. It's not because I choose to; I'm forced to in the society here, to keep up.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very understandable. Oh can I related. I just came to work in CA after living in Asia and the South Pacific for the first 6 months of the year. Culture shocked. Great travel blog. One of your relatives led me to it. I will tune in.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Gino Zahnd said...

These are all reasons that America is the most successful, most prolific, most productive economy on the planet. Ain't it great?!

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home